Intensive Counseling and Mental Health Services Provide Better Results Than a Year of Weekly Therapy
When you’re in distress, a powerful intervention may be the only way to change the momentum and get things back on track. An intensive retreat offers relief and healing in days, not years as required by one-hour weekly in-person or online therapy sessions.
A single retreat day adds up to (8) 45-50 min sessions. In other words, 1 retreat day is equivalent to 2 months of weekly therapy, but the effects are substantially more powerful because of the continuity of the work.
You have your therapist’s attention all day, every day of the retreat, with a lunch break and other breaks as necessary. There is no wasted time saying hello, catching up or shutting down a session – it is ongoing.
Read on to learn more details about what many consider to be one of the best mental health counseling programs currently available.
A Retreat Offers 2 Months Worth of Weekly Sessions in a Single Day
Based on the Most Effective Therapeutic Methods for Adults
Our intensive therapy retreats are based on the most current scientific understanding of adult mental health and how we are affected by trauma. Our counseling and mental health services utilize the most effective methods to help you process your trauma and move forward in life, unencumbered by negative past experiences.
We use research-supported techniques to quickly and effectively alleviate symptoms including depression, anxiety, PTSD, sleep problems and several other psychological and emotional issues.
We Use Proven Therapeutic Modalities
We utilize a variety of solution focused therapeutic techniques, but the foundation of our retreat is built on two of the most effective modalities to address past trauma and emotional issues; EMDR and IFS.
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a therapy created by Francine Shapiro, Ph.D. that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress resulting from trauma and disturbing life experiences that often result in a variety of mental health issues.
It is widely assumed that severe emotional pain requires a long time to heal. EMDR shows that the mind can in fact heal from psychological trauma much as the body recovers from physical trauma.
Repeated studies show that EMDR can often produce results in a single therapy session whereas other forms of psychotherapy will take years to deliver. More than 30 positive controlled outcome studies have been done on EMDR, with some showing that 84-90% of single-trauma victims no longer have PTSD after only three 90 min sessions.
We utilize EMDR during the intensive retreat to rapidly process old trauma that triggers a whole host of emotional and behavioral health issues, helping you to move through and beyond those feelings. EMDR is a remarkable treatment for survivors who have experienced sexual abuse and sexual assault, including childhood sexual abuse, among many other issues. We believe that EMDR should be a fixture in any of the best mental health counseling programs due to its incredible effectiveness.
"The way the memories are stored in an "unprocessed" form holds the emotions, physical sensations and beliefs that were there at the time of the original event." – Francine Shapiro, Ph.D.
IFS (Internal Family Systems Therapy) is a remarkable modality created by Richard C. Schwartz, Ph.D. that identifies and addresses the various sub-personalities, or “parts” within us. When we experience trauma, our personality breaks into various parts that represent our feelings of hurt, sadness, anger and shame.
Parts can develop within us to protect us from the pain of our traumatic experiences and the associated challenging emotions. Often these parts are in direct conflict with one another and our core Self, which is the happy, confident and whole person that is at the center of us.
IFS addresses all of these wounded parts, providing them with a voice and an opportunity to express their unique perspective on our past trauma and what their role is in protecting us. With the support of a skilled therapist, we can create a dialogue with these parts, allowing them to be acknowledged and release their pain, moving the stuck energy that is locked within them to provide more ease and freedom in our lives.
"IFS is more than a therapeutic technique. It is a conceptual framework and practice for developing love for ourselves and each other" – Richard C. Schwartz, Ph.D.
What Results Can I Expect From an Intensive Retreat?
Heal your unprocessed trauma and put it to rest once and for all.
Learn skills to understand your feelings and share them with others.
Gain a stronger sense of purpose and direction in your life.
• Eliminate patterns of behavior that do not work: Learn why your life is in conflict and why resentments accumulate over time. Recognize key behavioral and emotional challenges that push you off track so that you can stay focused on your goals. Our intensive counseling and mental health services offer you the opportunity to let go of old behavior patterns once and for all.
• Identify the negative cycle that you are stuck in: Learn about your unconscious driving factors and how they affect your ability to stay open and receptive to life, complicate your ability to proactively work through issues, and contribute to depressing, anxiety, withdrawal and shutting down. Learn new ways of coping with challenges so that you can see the cycle as the problem and not you, so you can maintain trust in yourself even in the midst of challenging moments.
• Learn positive communication skills: Learn how to communicate about anything, even difficult issues, without triggering and disconnecting from others. With the support of a licensed therapist, you will learn the best therapeutic methods and techniques to make requests of others, set healthy boundaries and feel truly heard in your relationships.
• Learn tools to address negative emotions: Our emotions are at the core of all our problems. You will learn tools to enhance your communication skills, self-confidence and self-soothing abilities, and the ability to more effectively cope with difficult feelings when they come up.
• Build a foundation of trust to move forward in life: We can only thrive if our life is built on a solid foundation of trust in ourselves. The best mental health counseling programs will grant you an enhanced understanding of your deepest inner workings so that you can derive more enjoyment from your life as you learn to strengthen your connection with yourself and others.